The Great Donatello | Italian sculptor
Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi, better known as Donatello, was an Italian sculptor of the Renaissance. Born in Florence, probably in the year 1386, he studied classical sculpture and used this to develop a complete Renaissance style in sculpture.
There are many artists when it comes to Florentine Art. One noted artist of that era was none other than Donatello. he was not as popular an artist. he was noted for his marvelous details in terms of sculptures and statues. His works mainly comprise of low relief statues, usually from wood of bronze.
In 1417 he completed Saint George for the Confraternity of the Cuirass-makers. The elegant St. George and the Dragon relief on the statue’s base.
The Great donatello’s
The Saint Mark statue created in 1411 to 1413 is perhaps one of his most famous creations. It is located in Orsanmichele, Florence and is completely made of marble.
Zuccone is a statue that was created for the Florence Cathedral in 1423-1425. This sculpture is made of marble and Zuccone is otherwise known as Prophet Habbakuk.
The Feast of Herod is a relief sculpture made of bronze that was created around 1427. It is currently on display in the Siena Cathedral in Italy.
David is the name given to two sculptures by the early-Renaissance. In 1408, the artist was tasked to carve a marble statue of David, The bronze version of this statue was as popular as the bronze cast that was completed during the Renaissance 1440.
Judith and Holofernes is a bronze sculpture. It was completed in the year 1460 which was towards the end of his career.
He died on December 3, 1466, in the Republic of Florence.
- Artist Edouard Manet (1832 – 1883) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Edouard Manet Édouard Manet was born on 23 January 1832, died on 30 April 1883. He was a French modernist painter. He was one of the first 19th-century artists to paint modern life, and a
- Artist Georges Seurat (1859 – 1891) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Georges Seurat Georges-Pierre Seurat was born on 2 December 1859, died on 29 March 1891. He was a French post-Impressionist artist. He is best known for devising the painting techniques known as chromoluminarism as well
- Artist Jean Baptiste Camille Corot (1796 – 1875) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Jean Baptiste Camille Corot Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot was born on 16 July 1796, died on 22 February 1875. He was a French landscape and portrait painter as well as a printmaker in etching. He is a
- Artist Gustave Courbet (1819 – 1877) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Gustave Courbet Jean Désiré Gustave Courbet was born on 10 June 1819, died on 31 December 1877. He was a French painter who led the Realism movement in 19th-century French painting. Committed to painting only
- Artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598 – 1680) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Gian Lorenzo Bernini Gian Lorenzo Bernini was born on 7 December 1598, died on 28 November 1680. He was an Italian sculptor and architect. While a major figure in the world of architecture, he was
- Artist Camille Pissarro (1830 – 1903) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Camille Pissarro Camille Pissarro was born on 10 July 1830, died on 13 November 1903. He was a Danish-French Impressionist and Neo-Impressionist painter born on the island of St Thomas (now in the US Virgin
- Artist Juan Gris | José Victoriano (1887 – 1927) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Juan Gris José Victoriano was born on 23 March 1887, died on 11 May 1927, He is better known as Juan Gris was a Spanish painter born in Madrid who lived and worked in France
- Artist William Turner (1775 – 1851) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Joseph Mallord William Turner Joseph Mallord William Turner was born on 23 April 1775, died on 19 December 1851, He is known contemporarily as William Turner, who was an English Romantic painter, printmaker and watercolourist.
- Indian Artist Abanindranath Tagore (1874 – 1951) | World Arts and ArtistAbanindranath Tagore was born on 7 August 1871, died on 5 December 1951. He was the principal artist and creator of the “Indian Society of Oriental Art”. He founded the Indian Society of Oriental Art and
- Artist Peter Paul Rubens (1577 – 1640) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Peter Paul Rubens Sir Peter Paul Rubens was born on 28 June 1577, died on 30 May 1640. He was a Flemish artist. He is considered the most influential artist of Flemish Baroque tradition. Rubens’s
- Artist Caravaggio (1571 – 1610) | World Arts and ArtistsAbout Caravaggio Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio was born on 29 September 1571, died on 18 July 1610 was an Italian painter active in Rome, Naples, Malta, and Sicily from the early 1590s to 1610. His paintings
- Artist Georges Braque (1882 – 1963) | World Arts and ArtistsGeorges Braque was born on 13 May 1882, died on 31 August 1963. He was a major 20th-century French painter, collagist, draughtsman, printmaker, and sculptor. His most important contributions to the history of art were in